Eben-haezer

Tobelo, December 24, 2015




“It’s December 24,” my thought told me this morning after I woke up from my-not-really-deep sleep.

I’ve started my reflection upon the years I’ve been through. Yeah, it’s getting closer to Christmas and New Year's Eve – a very good time to ponder. This morning (it’s been actually days), grateful feeling has been flowing over my heart. The current question to answer is: what are the things you are grateful for?

I screened my memory. There are a lot of sweet, bitter and bittersweet memories I’ve kept in my mind. But the greatest gratitude I’d like to record in my writing now is this fellowship. I call it, Eben-haezer.

Eben-haezer is a phrase found in The Old Testament. It’s a Hebrew denotation which means Stone of The Help. It didn’t simply commemorate getting help in general or even the help that God gave. Instead, Eben-haezer commemorated the help that God is.[1] Beyond the help He gave, He Himself is the spotlight.

SMAN 14 Jakarta is one of the ‘Eben-haezer’(s) in my life.

A place where for the first time I learned that singing is not to entertain myself and the crowd, but to glorify God 
A place where for the first time I was taught to be more mindful before posting a status update on social media (hehehe, you know how galau I was) 
A place where for the first time I understood the emphasis of love – which is not about romance but friendship  
A place where for the first time I found out those crying hearts – praying for families, friends, leaders, nations, even the world. 
A place where for the first time I saw people fall and grow in love with God – where songs, praises, music, and prayers are not raised up emptily. 
A place where for the first time I couldn’t hold my tears anymore due to God’s unconditional and abundant love. 
A place where for the first time I was challenged to care about others – through words, prayers and actions. 
A place where for the first time I was convinced that God has unbreakable promises.  
A place where for the first time I started to involve myself into an unceasing struggle to trace my life-calling. 
A place I’ve never imagined would have taken a big portion in my heart and life, a milestone to throw me into a significant progressive self-change.

Yeah, it has been years since I graduated from this school. This post seems to let people judge how melancholic I am. (hehe)  It’s aimed not to be so nostalgic about highschool life experience. I just want to testify that this Eben-haezer works.

During these past five years, there were times when I lost my focus on doing what God’s longing for, I dealt with difficulty to understand what He actually wants for me to do. Separated from – you name it fellowship in Rohkris XLI - that has always been a good company to grow together is quite an uneasy path. Turbulences happened. There were times of falling down and almost giving up on the struggle. Those dynamics really-really-really happened.

Yet, every time I recall my memory about the Eben-haezer, scrutinize its people-inside’s faithfulness in their own fields, it’s magically reviving me. I spell it, e-v-e-r-y-t-i-m-e.
I’m amazed. The fellowship’s spirit and love have become such source of strength and inspiration to get up, yesterday, today (and I believe tomorrow).

I reeaaaaaally thank God for you. “I thank God every time I remember you (Phil 1:3)” This verse, I really experience and mean it.















What now?

We’ve been called to different places and positions – let us keep His vision alive. Keep growing in love!

Ohya, have a sweet Christmas.

May God bless you, my dearest folks :)





[1] www.abarim-publications.com/Meaning/Ebenezer.html#.VntcGL2mowh

Comments

  1. Yoan, I’ve just finished reading this post. It was so magical. Recalling these three years memories made me remember how blessed i am. These memories will always leave trail in my heart, and these memories will be the things i am looking into whenever i need encouragement.
    Anyhow, happy christmas yoan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts